Our club, the Emerald City Wanderers, is sponsoring the Light Rail Challenge to encourage walkers to try out the new Light Rail Walk Series. The intent is for participants to experience several, hopefully all, of the Light Rail Stations, and to discover the communities and neighborhoods along the Light Rail line.
Challenge Criteria: Challenge participants must complete a minimum of 12 different qualified walks and record them in the Challenge Book (see below). Participants shall register and pay event credit fee for each completed walk. For a walk event to qualify, the route shall start or finish at a Light Rail Station, or shall walk by the entrance to a Light Rail Station, or shall walk alongside or cross the Light Rail tracks, or any combination thereof. All the walks on the list below are qualified, and some upcoming Traditional Events may qualify over the course of the Challenge – watch the “What’s New” tab on this site for information. For descriptions of the qualified Year-Round Events, go to the “Light Rail Walk Series” tab on this site. Walkers may choose any length of route, when varying options are available. Clubs are encouraged to create new walks for the Light Rail Challenge. Interested clubs can contact Emerald City Wanderers for their events to be added to the list. Program runs from Jan. 1, 2019 through Dec. 31, 2020.
Current List of Qualified Year-Round Events and AVA Sanction Numbers:
- University of Washington – Y0351
- Ghost Walk (Capitol Hill Station) – Y0814
- Downtown / Waterfront (International District Station) – Y0011
- SoDo Station – Y2413
- Beacon Hill Station – Y2415
- Columbia City Station – Y2414
- Othello Station – Y2467
- Rainier Beach Station – Y2466
- Tukwila Station – Y2416 (goes to Highline Garden)
- McMicken Heights (also starting at Tukwila Station) – Y2652
- Angle Lake Station – Y2394
- Des Moines Creek Trail (also starting at Angle Lake Station) – Y2394
List of Completed Qualified Traditional Events:
- Celebrate 10 Years of LINK Light Rail in Seattle – held April 13 & 14, 2019
- Light Rail – Capitol Hill to International District – held April 13 & 14, 2019
- Fourth of July – held July 4, 2019
- Labor Day Walk through Downtown – held August 31, 2019
- Leap Day Walk – held February 29, 2020
Challenge Books: Participants shall purchase the Light Rail Challenge Book to record completed events (books have sold out, as of December, 2019).
Send completed books to:
5700 6th Ave. S., #206
Seattle, WA 98108
Books will be checked per the criteria, and returned to participants along with a colorful embroidered patch (sketch pictured above), designed by Dorman Batson, to commemorate achievement of the Challenge.
Watch the “What’s New” tab on this site, as the successful participants will be posted in the “Light Rail Hall of Fame”!